PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hoon and creative accounting!
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2006, 15:42
buoy15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southsh&te - I knew you would bite
There is a fundamental difference between a serviceman - who is compulsed into a posting - and has to negotiate economic and sensible arrangements to secure a property he has worked and saved for whilst posted away, compared to an MP, who may have been elected on a whim.
A MP can claim "extraordianary" benefits (a taxpayer mortgage paid for flat in London for example) - which he can sell on with no payback - to represent his constituents, who may be 600 miles away, whilst claiming it is "within the rules"
I won't even mention the obscene pension they secure, even if they manage to serve only one parliamentary term
Lots of honest and sincere people visit this site and ask for advice on how to be a military pilot - we offer suggestions and say they must have 4 A levels , good apptitude, presence of mind, be yourself, blah blah, to earn eventually £20-50k if they are successful - then enjoy a good career, and look forward to a decent pension
Then we see the likes of 2 Jags Prescott - pie and chips - not the most eloquent DPM, seen on camera, nodding off in the Budget Speech
Perhaps we should be advising budding aviators to cut their losses and stand for Parliament - likewise, asking budding MP's to complete a tour in the Military befoe they offer themselves to the country
Sh*te, where's my canoe?