PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2006, 15:17
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crash,

if you've done 25 years, you'll be back to your full pension if you work about 1 1/2 years longer. You'll also earn your full salary for that 1 1/2 years as well.
Not sure where you get your figures from? If BA have their way, the pension won't pay out until 65, irrespective of when you leave. In addition, it won't have any effective inflation protection so it'll be worth less and less, year on year.

From my point of view, if I were able to claim at 55 based upon the new proposals, I would lose approximately 40% of my current planned pension. My break even point with the existing scheme would be at about the age of 63 and even then I wouldn't be able to actually claim it for another two years. I would therefore be claiming the same pension for ten years less, despite having planned for and paid for that pension to begin at 55. Equally, my life expectancy is likely to be a couple of years less based upon the fact that I'd have to work an extra ten years. It's lose-lose as far as I'm concerned.

Thieving bds!