PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Travel runway excursion at ENTO (A321)
Old 28th Mar 2006, 13:32
Fokkersnagger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FD Standby
Fokkkersnagger,
If you don't trust the ground reading equip - then how on earth do you ever land??
And just for my education, which officially quoted figures should I disregard, and which can I use???
FD Standby:

Guess my best advice for winter operations on contaminated runways is to ask ATC for PIREPs, and supply ATC with PIREPs when they obviously could need the information. And of course ATC should ask for PIREPs when such runway conditions are present.

As the NTSB-report; “Large airplane operations on contaminated runways“ concludes:

1. None of the existing friction-measuring equipment in use (BRD:Brakemeter-Dynometer, GRT:Grip Tester, MUM:Mu-meter, RFT:Runway friction tester, SFH:Surface friction tester (high pressure tires), SFL:Surface friction tester (low pressure tires), SKH:Skiddometer (high pressure tires), SKL:Skiddometer (low pressure tires), TAP:Tapleymeter) are able to duplicate the dynamics in the airplane tires regarding airplane velocity, tyre-construction nor tyre-velocity. There has been minimum progress in the work of correlating the friction-measurements to the performance of the airplane. As a result, the operational value of such friction-measurements is limited.

2. Pilot reports: Pilot braking action reports are the most timely and available source of runway condition information. The reliance on reports of braking conditions from pilots and the experience of airport management are adequate and are more reliable and timely than any existing friction-measuring technology.

3. Quantitative data relating the airplane’s performance to runway condition during a specific landing or takeoff still is not provided to the pilots. Furthermore, the pilots have no means of obtaining objective information about the friction values of contaminated runways. Moreover, frequently they do not receive all available information about runway conditions or terminal weather information that is timely and accurate. As a result, while modern technology has made aviation the safest, most reliable means of transportation in the world, pilots daily face potentially dangerous situations in which they land or take off on contaminated runways with no assurance that the runway is adequate for the operation.

The report is somewhat old, but the contents are still valid today (obviously). Hope this info doesn't come as a shock to anyone operating here up north in the white season.