PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here's what the Airlines really want!!!!!!!
Old 28th Mar 2006, 09:05
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This whole thing is pitched shamelessly towards that holy grail of "big jet straight out of flying school" and yeah it makes pretty depressing reading if that's the only career target you are aiming at.

All that this survey really says is that if you happen to be one of the elite few who are mid 20s, have a super duper academic record, and have more money than a bull can sh!t - then yes you probably have a better chance than the rest of us. Woop de doo, I reckon most of us could have figured that out without a survey.

Of course most NON big-jet operators, i.e. the turboprops and regionals etc, are deeply suspicious of pilots like that because they know damn well the dude is going to work here for a year or two, and then cruise off to BA faster than you can say "thanks-for-the-unfrozen-ATPL-suckers!".

Those who don't fulfil that narrow set of criteria - i.e. the vast majority of us - no need to get too demoralized because there are still plenty of other options available. There are plenty of people out there of course who got the big jet job even though they weren't this fictitious GAPAN superhero. Otherwise you'll just have to go down the traditional road of instructor - turboprop - little jet - big jet. Or parachute dropping. Or bush flying. Or ambulance flying. Or night freight in battered old piston twins. Or whatever. Think outside the square a bit, you'll get there eventually, and for gods sake dont go jumping off a bridge because some dodgy survey says you can't get an airline job unless this this and this.