PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 28th Mar 2006, 08:05
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chappie, your analysis is spot on and your timing is immaculate. It is curious that no official announcement has been made about the fitting of foam to the smart K fleet. If your reaction is anything to go by, I doubt very much if the MoD will be able to silence its critics about the lack of protection on the Hercules fleet. I suspect there really is a rethink going on. Failing to protect the J fleet is lunacy but it does provide a glimpse of the sort of thinking that goes on at the top of the MoD. Dr Reid argued that it was a lucky shot and yet 2 other ac from the same small section were hit in the previous few months. You should not have to rely on luck if you are sent to war, we all know at some stage your luck runs out. Some of my former colleagues believe that this tragedy could easily happen again. I have also spoken with some of the widows and they are desperate for this not to happen to anyone else. Until we hear the decision the pressure is maintained.

Thought I would show you what the airlines are doing about it.

FAA Proposes Rule to Reduce Fuel Tank Explosion Risk

WASHINGTON, D.C. The U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today proposed a rule that would make aviation significantly safer by requiring more than 3,200 existing and certain new large passenger jets to reduce flammability levels of fuel tank vapors.

"Safer fuel tanks on aircraft will help prevent the possibility of future explosions and the tragic loss of lives," U.S. Transportation Secretary Norman Y. Mineta said.

The Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) would require aircraft operators to reduce the flammability levels of fuel tank vapors on the ground and in the air to remove the likelihood of a potential explosion from an ignition source. The proposed rule is designed to reduce the likelihood of a repeat of the four fuel tank explosions over the past 16 years, including the 1996 TWA 800 accident, that together have resulted in 346 fatalities.

"This proposed rule is the next step to close the book on fuel tank explosions," said FAA Administrator Marion C. Blakey. "We're proposing to increase the level of aircraft safety by reducing the potentially explosive ingredient of flammable fuel vapors."

These aircraft are not even being shot at!