PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pierre Clostermann (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2006, 05:56
nutcracker43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clostermann

I have heard many stories about PC, some good and some bad. I have heard many stories about the Poles and their 'behaviour', yet were their squadrons not the 'highest scorers' in the BOB? Those I met were wonderful fellows and great characters. One wonders whether this was not some petty jealousy on the part of certain members of the RAF. I grew up thinking that Douglas Bader was a tremendous hero; he was. He, along with Leanord Cheshire, was a source of inspiration, in my yearing as a young fellow, to join the RAF. My civilian flying instructor knew him (DB) well and was not overly fond of him; I imagined an element of petty jealousy with regard to his observations. I do not wish to be iconoclastic here but I was very disappointed when I met the man at a dinner talk he gave us in the mess at Syerston in July 66. He was the supreme egoist...'me' deep in conversation. Regrettably my flying instructor's views were all revealed as being true...prior to that it had just been a story...what we are hearing here on this thread are stories told to 'someone' by 'someone'. To my mind they are neither sound nor worthy and serve to diminish the memory of someone who contributed significantly to the air battle of WW2.

Thank you.

NC43