PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth auto-slats
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2006, 10:57
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Tiger 'Slats'...

G'day Mr C,
Taxing the old memory a little here, but many years ago I used to instruct on Tigers in the WA wheatbelt, and have to qualify this by saying I have never flown with the slats actually removed.....
However, when 'playing with' the aircraft at altitude trying to see what it would / would not 'do', and check it out for 'rigging', it was quite normal to see the slats start to open when approaching stall configurations. Magic!
Although I do not recall actually feeling anything too different, I would always look up to see if the slats were still 'in', or starting to work, or even fully extended, and try to 'feel' the acft.
A visual stall warning device if you like - although they often fully deployed with little or no apparent 'feedback' thru the controls, the sight of them 'fully out' was a warning. The control column / rudder were fairly 'mushy' at this point anyway, so you knew not to do anything silly close to the ground.
They were always 'unlocked' for take-off / ldg, as they were supposed to delay the stall over the upper mainplanes and provide that much 'safety factor'. I never had a 'bad' landing in one - so I suppose they must have worked OK.
I guess if the man is aware of the limitations of his machine, and how it 'feels'..........
I mean, we have all landed 'flapless' from time to time.....???
And, we just fly the aircraft accordingly......

Does this help?