PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2006, 07:35
bullshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem No 1 for NAPS:
The main damage has already been done - not by Slick but by Skippy. In allowing him to start a new (inferior) defined contribution scheme for new joiners the divide and rule process was allowed to commence. At the time, several of my BA friends took the view 'why should I threaten industrial action for people who are not even in the Company yet?' It wouldn't have taken much thought to realise what was going on. As it is, these new staff will vote against industrial action and, together with the inevitable number who are simply against any form of action, there is a significant split. This will not have gone unnoticed by Slick.

Problem No 2 for NAPS:
BA pilots, fine individuals that they undoubtedly are, will collectively receive little sympathy from the rest of the profession if they decide to embark upon industrial action. The BA pilot force has ruthlessly and without the slightest remorse, shafted too many other groups in the past to expect support from other pilots. I won't bore readers with a list but it continues to this day with BA Connect and the 747 freight Airline whos name escapes me as I write. Why have they done it? Collective greed and... Because they can.

Having said the above, I totally agree with the majority of contributions an this thread. Fiddling with employees contracted pensions in absolutely outrageous and something has to be done. I fear though, that you chaps are on a damage limitation exercise.