PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - stuck left pedal in hover: what do you do?
Old 26th Mar 2006, 23:36
thecontroller

stuck left pedal in hover: what do you do?

any ideas?

i found this on a website, are these the 3 ways to deal with it? "pump the collective"? anyone care to elaborate on that?

>>
So, today we went to our practice area and I’d bring us to a hover and then the more experienced instructor would take the controls and demonstrate a technique for dealing with this issue. He’d get us spinning left, for instance, and then show me one of three ways to fix it.

First, you can just slowly raise the collective (go straight up) and eventually you get to a point where the pedal input is balanced with the collective input and you stop spinning. Then, you slowly reduce power (throttle) and the helicopter sinks until you are on the ground softly landing.

The second method is to pump the collective. The good thing is it keeps you lower to the ground, but the bad is it kind of makes the helicopter jump up and down until you get it just right and it stops turning.

The third method you actually move the Cyclic in a circlular motion to the right at about a one foot diameter and this also will stop the spin. Again, once you stop spinning you roll off the power and you creep on to the ground. This all assumes you’re hovering.