PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Google Earth - Aircraft Spotting
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2006, 18:12
seacue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIR2KML

I throw over the transom for general amusement a small program I have written. It converts text files of geo coordinates to KML files which Google Earth plots. This is really a DOS program, though I developed it on a Windows XP Home system. I've never had problems running "DOS" programs on XP, even large ones like dBase and Borland C compiler.

The text file name must be of the form NAME.TXT, where the NAME must be 8 or fewer characters.

The text file can contain many points each on its own line.
Each must be latitude longitude title with no punctuation between fields.
Coordinates may be either dd mm ss.ssN or ddd.ddddW format. Negative values are NOT accepted. The title of the point may be any reasonable length.

The program AIR2KML.EXE and a sample AIRPINS.TXT file and the resulting AIRPINS.KML file may be downloaded from http://users.erols.com/rcarpen/ It is the AIR2KML.ZIP file. Don't confuse it with the similarly-titled TXT2KML program. One executes an EXE file by double-left-clicking on it ... or you can create a shortcut on your desktop.

Just double-left-click on any KML file and Google Earth will start and display that file. These points will be shown in addition to any already shown if G-E is already running.

You may want to un-tick the name of the file in the Google "Places" box when you get close to a point since the push-pin may obscure what you seek.

seacue

Last edited by seacue; 27th Mar 2006 at 03:51.