PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belkin54g Router Help Please
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2006, 16:47
5milesbaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belkin54g Router Help Please

Hi there, I've had to fully re-format the desktop non-wireless computer (following a stupid drunken click turning off the firewall!!). The Belkin router was connected by the correct ethernet cable and all worked fine before, and the laptop picked up the signal wirelessly without any problems. I've tried getting the LAN setup again on the desktop using the exact settings I used before but it just will not see the Belkin connection. I'm sending this using the laptop so the router obviously works and has full connection. The laptop has never had the ISP software installed and still hasn't to this day, it just finds the router, has the WEP already in its 'brain' and off it goes. With the desktop I've done the same as before, established the internet connection using the ISP software and Speedtouch 330 modem, and then tried to set up a home network and connect to the router. Is this the right way to do things? As I say, the router is configured as the laptop uses it perfectly.

If someone could please give me the full steps for getting the desktop to recognise and connect through the router it would be really appreciated, so I can see where I've gone wrong or missed out, I'm not great at the techy stuff but can get my head around most of it. I've tried running the wizards for Home Networking etc but none came up good.

On a side, does anyone know why when I plug the wireless router into another splitter in another room, it'll only establish a connection when the desktop is switched on and connected using the Speedtouch OR when the desktop is off and Speedtouch unplugged from the phone socket? I would have thought that as its configured the laptop can use the router whereever its plugged into the home phone line, and don't understand how the desktop/Speedtouch can interfere with this!

Thanks to anyone who gets this far and can give an answer!

5mb