PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying for HM Forces
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2006, 16:31
JamesTigris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying for HM Forces

This is probably a frequent question and its one I'm still researching myself but it would be good to hear people's honest opinions.

I'm looking to go back to the AFCO in the next week or so to get myself into the fight for pilot training within HM forces (just graduating from Uni). I'm an Ex-UAS guy and am fully appreciative of the levels of competition and the probability of selection! Being Ex-UAS I've always focused on the RAF as the only way to go but what are the real differences and pros/cons of the RAF vs the RN?

Both the RAF and RN take on a quota of pilots each year and I'm wondering how to play it. I'd prefer to fly for the RAF but I'd also be extatic to fly for the Navy. I'm not saying I'm indecisive or lack commitment, but it makes alot of sense to simply maximise my chances of flying for a living!

Common sense says that from the moment I walk through the door at the AFCO I'd need to be committed to one or the other. Is it possible to apply for both simultaniously or would that just kill any chances I had straight off the bat on the grounds that I'm hoplessly indecisive!?

Any and all comments appreciated...