PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2006, 10:22
The Little Prince

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr Support BA!!!!!

I used to be with BRAL, I'm now paid a bit less but with a much bettr run Regional airline. I left because of the b0llocks BA made of my previous Company. I've had many an argument with BA pilots about the way the whole BA structure works, and particularly how insular,arrogant, and often plain stupid both the BA pilot community and their management are - particularly in the way they treated BRAL/Manx after buying us to access our LHR slots.

HOWEVER, and it's a whopping however -

BA are unfairly disliked and envied by many purely because their Ts and Cs are seen to be better than others, jealousy and division rules. Actually, they have set the UK benchmark since they were formed, and it has been that benchmark, like it or not, which has been responsible for most other Industry pay-rises and improvements. It has always been in Industry's interest to get BA as high a pay rise as possible, and as good Ts and Cs as possible:
1. Because if you wanted to join them you obviously benefited.
2. Because even if you didn't, your airline was more or less forced to keep up somewhat or face a constant pilot and general workforce drain.

Now, my pension is still with BAConnect - it's deferred. I have lobbied hard for mainline support over the years, none has ever been forthcoming, and this was very frustrating - see para #1! HOWEVER, they have all my support, for what that is worth, because, selfishly, I am in no doubt that if Willie Wonka wins this one, then my own pension pot is doomed. It may well be damaged as things are, but you do not need to be a rocket scientist to see that if the BA NAPS is scuppered, then all the other firts and second level airlines will follow suit. They'll have to, just to keep an equivalent control on their own overheads proportionately. People on here are right, the world is changing, that Scottish b#astard in no 11 should be sacked and sent home to Scotland to enjoy his sparkling wine from the co-op, HOWEVER - BA are cobntractually obligated to meet this pension - there is ZERO possibility that WW will win a determined strike by BA aircrew, or even, if you stop to think about it, by the check-in staff, by the engineers etc etc. As pilots, as Airline employees, as humans who agreed to accept terms of employment, we owe it not just to BA but to OURSELVES to support them with every single iota of effort we can dredge up. The pax support? Who the hell cares - they won't be supporting us our dotage - will they??
Summary - if BA employees lose this one, we're all (to a greater or lesser degree) fooked good and proper, ceaseless erosion of salary and Ts and Cs will get even worse. For Christ's sake, wake up and smell the coffee!!!!