PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2006, 20:40
PLE Always

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=luvmuhud]...It's always sunny above the clouds, and you will work with some of the finest human beings God has ever produced.[/quote]

Put a smile on my face you did hudlover

G’day Andrew,

I’m sure there are plenty of great tips for Flight Screening but I subscribe to the KISS school of thought. Sure do a few aeros trips just to get used to the sensations, which leads to my first tip, relax and listen. Concentrate on what you’re being told, ask questions, understand what’s expected of you. Communication is King and don’t be afraid to ask a dumb question (You’ll get away with one every now and then). The other one is Honesty. If you cock up, fess up. If you didn’t like the way something played out, recognise it (as best you can), understand where improvements can be made and verbalise all these thoughts. What the company wants to see is someone who is self-critiquing and in a way independent on the path to self-improvement.

As far as the Secondary Duties side of the house goes, Look-At-My-Gorgeous-Hud covered a bunch of good ones. In my experience there are lots of opportunity to contribute to the rewriting of dated or incorrect procedures, tactics, instructions etc. The adults at the SQN are usually flat-out sorting out stuff that you don’t want to know about. So they really appreciate guys doing the leg work, taking the initiative and making things better for everyone. Apart from helping everybody else out, doing the right thing usually gets you reported well annual appraisals, which in turn help with postings, win win.

As far as this goes:

Originally Posted by luvmuhud
…., and you will work with some of the finest human beings God has ever produced.

I really do genuinely agree, but you do on rare occasion get the opposite. It is a very real possibility as a Captain or Junior Officer for that matter that you will get involved in disciplinary matters. I won’t expand on the indiscretions I’ve come across in an open forum, as I don’t want it to be misconstrued as rife, it’s not. But you will be expected by the Execs to recognise and appropriately respond to departures from the rules, norms etc. Don’t ever walk away from a problem or it’ll become someone else’s and may come back to bight you too. I’ve had to tidy up someone else’s mess and it’s given me grey hairs.

I expect at your stage you’re rightly focussed on a fast jet career, but if you have any multi crew subsonic questions feel free to PM me. Otherwise LOVE-MY-GOTTA-GET-MY-HANDS-ON-MY-HUD is your man.

It’s an awesome time to be joining the RAAF, lots going on now with deployments etc and the future is very bright.

Enjoy!

Speech of the day

'AUSTRALIANS AT WAR' Address, Australia House, London by the PM.

http://www.pm.gov.au/news/speeches/speech565.html

Given prior to opening the Australian War Memorial London.

http://www.awmlondon.gov.au/flash.html