PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 S speed question
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2006, 11:40
Flying Fred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheresthecoffee
There are a lot of personal definitions coming out here.
S speed is the manoeuvring speed at F1 (not config 1 as per take off accel!).
wheresthecoffee, you mention personal definitions and then (I think) you introduce one yourself
Where in FCOM does it talk about manoeuvre speeds? What is the reference? From your earlier post:-
Originally Posted by wheresthecoffee
From the FCOM;
S Speed
Minimum speed at which the slats may be retracted at takeoff.
In approach, used as a target speed when the aircraft is in CONF 1.
Represented by "S" on the PFD airspeed scale.
Equal to about 1.23 VS of clean configuration.
At S speed after takeoff, you retract the flaps so by definition it must be safe to fly clean at S speed. In fact, S speed corresponds pretty much to VLS clean.
S speed is the target speed in CONF 1 but I don’t recall Airbus using the term ‘manoeuvre speed’. I think that is Boeing terminology. I have not flown the Airbus family for four years now but that was one of the big differences going for Airbus to Boeing. On the A320, perfectly acceptable to go below the target speed with a minimum of VLS; on a Boeing, you want to go below manoeuvre speed, it’s the next stage of flap (although even my Boeing manual says you have full manoevre capability at 20kt below manoevre speed!)

Of course, all this may have changed since I left but I was always taught that VLS meant exactly that, lowest selectable speed for that particular config.

If you can find anything in official Airbus documentation that says otherwise, I stand to be corrected.