PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recent Monarch incident in Gibraltar
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2006, 11:28
Bumz_Rush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SFL from Cabin

The screens in the terminal at Luton were not working, and as a result of waiting in the Exec lounge was almast late for the flight, the screens in the terminal and lounge showed a estimated deaprture time, but nothing more.

A slight delay on departure. But did get to sit next to a lovely Russian Girl, aft row LHS.

The IFE did not work and a free drink was given to all.

It was not a calm night. There was turbulance all the way from Luton.

I checked the METAR and TAF, as I left home in Luton, and there was forecast reasonable strong winds, with heavy rain showers in the relevent period, but not enought that I would have predicted a diversion, unless in the middle of a rain shower.

The seal belt signs were no on for most of the turbulance.

Top of descent was in the usual place, just south of Madrid, and apart from a smooth layer, turbulent most of the way down hill.

My first point of concern was as we were "x wind", we would normally be on a Radar heading. ( I do not have the charts in front of me). The first indication of a problem, was that (on the left hand side), I could see Algeceras port, VERY close, then a almost 90 degree turn to the right. We were ( on my side ) VMC, NO real turbulance, but reasonable strong wind. (the GIB plates do warn of turbulance.)

This visual sighting would suggest we were much closer to the runway, that usual, for the two bites at the final turn.

As a result would have been too close for a stable approach.

The missed approach was a non event, nice climb, and off to AGP.

I was very surprised at the lack of second attempt.

The Malaga arrival was fine, little light rain.

One hour for the bags, and 2 hrs almost for the coach to GIB. Arrival at Gib about 0030L.

The return flight sat at AGP (Luton was closed), until 5am (UK?) and departed to Luton. Arriving at LTN after 7am (L).

Not sure how the duty hours worked on that. The aircraft does a Canaries earlier in the day.

There were several misses later in the week.

A missed approach at GIB, is a regular event, and should not cause any heart ache, as AGP is an approved direct diversion.

The week later return from AGP to LTN made a miss at LTN due to traffic on the runway. Not certain if an honest report, but all ops looked and sounded normal.

As to high rise, there are many developments in hand at GIB, but there are NONE that effect the approach tunnel. There are many cranes in the area, but all shielded either by existing building, or the rock itself.

The Minima are high to account for the rock.

I have a copy of the Gibraltar Cronicle which quotes the incident, but they have nothing more to add.

Rainboe, if I can be of more assitance, feel free to PM.

Bumz (back in LON).