PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of a non-IR CPL
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2006, 18:53
betterfromabove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use of a non-IR CPL

Hi

Thought was about time to come out of "snoop" mode & interact with my fellow wing-junkies...

So, here's a question I've never seen posed in all the ramblings on PPRUNE...

What does a CPL by itself (ie. without a full IR) enable you to realistically do?? As I see it, it would allow you to do the following:

1. Opens the door to working as an instructor (after the FI course of course...)
2. Would allow you to fly pleasure flights (which would only occur in VMC anyway, right?!)
3. Humanitarian flights (have spoken to several people recently proposing to do this...). Surely an IR would be sensible for this, right?
4. Would allow paradropping / glider or ad towing / ag flying type jobs (even if the pay were practically non-existent...)
5. Would permit you do ferrying (although would you want to traverse e.g. Atlantic without a full IR?!?!)

Anyone out there doing these activities on a non-IR CPL?? Or is the CPL truly only a keystone to the ATPL-IR route only?? Oh, & what of a FAA/SA/Canadian CPL vs a JAA one for any of these activities?? The word on the flightline is that the JAA CPL is the one that does the talking.

Should point out I've got a good day-job in the oil industry (yes, those gits ) & haven't got the least intention of going ATPL .

Idea would be more:

- To take my flying up to a safer, more professional level.
- Open the door for part-time instructing in the future, or even full-time when oil hits $10/barrel again .
- Maybe occasional other work that would give an edge to my flying & get someone else to pay for it for once!!

Anyway, be interested to hear what you guys think!

PS. Anyone else out there live near Paris & fancy some flight-sharing? If so, let me know.