PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - unofficial use of landing aids
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 20:32
Pierre Argh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again we have a topic that highlights differences across the world (a bit worrying in an international game such as aviation...) It is clear that use of approach (not nav) aids outside A/.F hours is illegal under UK regs ... fact.

That the Americans (and possibly others across the world) do differently doesn't change that... nor does it change the interpretation UK experts placed on the practise that is is... shall we say "unwise". To mis-quote your comment back at you...
Understand just because the way you do it differs from our system doesn't make it safe either, just different
This is not an attempt at Yank bashing... did I strike a nerve there Westcoast? This thread is based on an an enquiry about UK practices; it is, perhasp, foolhardy to cloud the issue by talking about International practices that may not apply? However it was, I think, Douglas Bader who said, "Rules are for the obeyance of fools and guidance of wisemen". Quite typically some have highlighted "exceptions" UK where rules are being "bent" or "ignored" across the UK... if you're insistent upon following suite, and needs must... best practice may be to (as is probably the case with the airfields/operators quoted) check with the unit in question before flight, check their practices when closed and their feelings about said practices (may have to be off the record)

... and as, no doubt Scott and Westcoast would say, "Y'all be careful y'hear!" Alternatively, maybe the aids should be turned off with the airfield lights?