PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS approaches in the UK.......Soon?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 20:18
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and I suspect only VFR enroute

For that one, every country would have to change its legislation to prescribe how a private pilot must navigate. Currently this is not specified; only equipment to be carried is specified.

I don't doubt that Galileo's use for IAPs will require the purchase of a decoding key or card, like Sky TV. There are already adequate parallels for this in Europe, in the form of mandatory GPS database updates for BRNAV flight. But I can't see pilots being shafted on how to navigate en route.

As I've said before, I think all this stuff is irrelevant. The airfields that will get GPS approaches will (in nearly all cases) be ones that already have instrument approaches. OK, the GPS approach may give you a lower MDH than say the existing NDB one, which seems nice.

But - think about it - nothing stops a pilot from turning up there and flying the NDB procedure officially but "checking his progress" using a GPS - just like a lot of smart pilots do already So, to anybody with the kit that would be required anyway, there is zero gain. The existence of any IAP is good enough for the approach to be flown with the aid of GPS, and utilising the safety features of GPS.

I flew an NDB proc today (in reasonable VMC) using its GPS version in the Jepp database - exceedingly accurate it was too. The RMI wasn't far off, which was a bonus I suppose.

What we won't get is IAPs into airfields without any existing IAP.

Galileo is a waste of money.