PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER
Thread: MANCHESTER
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 19:07
MAN777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOCO

Not sure where this thread is going, regardless of whether or not I am a spotter or enthusiast, I am still a regular member of the traveling masses. You seem to use the same criteria as me when looking for a flight, so we arent much different, the only difference I can see is business travel where the business person goes as direct as possible, as quick as possible and cost is not an option. Yes the euro hubs appear to have the edge re timings but the difference is really quite small. From experience I would rather spend 3 hours in air conditioned shopping heaven (with the no extra cost stopover option) than joining the masses pouring off shuttles for the inter terminal sprint !.

Yes there is kudos attached to long haul routes for all concerned and what is wrong with that, Manchester airport has worked very hard attracting these routes and its a shame that some fail. Manchester does not want to be purely a feeder airport for the euro hubs, but it is a fact that it cannot realistically compete with them right across the board. But what it has achieved is a broad spectrum of flights (domestic, european, long haul, bucket and spade, locost, freight etc.) this approach I believe protects the airports income during downturns. What would happen to Stansted if Ryanair failed ?.

The travelling masses have brains regardless of what some aircrew think (joke) and they expect high standards, that is why the middle east airlines are queing up for a slice of the market regardless of where the final destination is. I and many of my fellow travellers would prefer direct long haul but if we cannot have that then pseudo long haul will do for now.

I dont have access to transit passenger figures for the airports concerned, but if anyone does and would like to contribute to the discussion, feel free.