PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asthma
Thread: Asthma
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 17:29
Shaft109

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
background-
"In fact they never even check up on your medical records so if you don't say anything they would never know."
Well erm yes, but in a silly fit of naiviety I put it down. Well to be honest I discussed this with lots of people on the school before I had the medical because I knew that it could be a problem, and the general concensus was it wouldn't be a factor. OOps. The one person I should have spoke to was the CO who "had some experience in these matters" but didn't for some reason.
I can still remember the exact moment I told him as he was climbing in to do some SCT, his exact words were "you may have prematurely curtailed your flying career". Yup.
Oldernotbolder-
Maybe the severity was different, or the doctor/MO thought differently and this was 8 years ago so maybe things have changed; but for me it was the end of the road for military flying. I mean now with a class 1 I easily qualify but i've moved on to other things so i'll never know.
It was a coincidence that I got binned from both at the same time (Gliding Med and OASC) as I had them at different times but the results came back on practically the same day.
As for the thread starter- DavidDatter708- I was in your exact position back in '97. If I could go back and give myself advice it would be
"At the gliding/VGS medical say nothing"- So (Assuming your in the Air Cadets) yes you could fly and gain invaluable experience.
"As for the RAF/Military Aircrew"- Don't waste your time. Get on to the CAA in Gatwick with details of your condition and see about getting a Class 1, and if it works out find sponsorship for CPL/fATPL or whatever.

Sorry to be blunt but it's a non starter.