PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maths and Physics knowledge req'd for ATPL and airline flying?
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 10:28
pilgrim flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started studying for the JAA PPL at the tender age of 43, having left school 28 years previously with a grade 5 CSE (not a typo, they were an exam for us thickies who had failed the 11 plus).

In the interim I'd pulled my socks up and become a university lecturer in an arts based subject. My hatred of Mrs Williams’s maths class and the attendant humiliation had not abated in the interim, nor had my understanding improved. Knowing what I know now I realise that the subject was incredibly badly taught. However, I digress.

Come 2001/2 and the dreaded JAA CPL exams maths again threatened to become my nemesis. My saviour came in the unlikely guise of Hairy Arsed Builder who was doing a bit of a makeover on my flat at that time. HAB had the advantages of being practical, a gliding instructor and also having a degree in engineering which is apparently more about applied maths than making things on a lathe.

So, to answer your query from my perspective, find yourself a good teacher, who understands flying, the practical application of maths, and can teach. If they aren’t Welsh it’s a bonus but not essential.

As an aside, after the exam torture was over, one of my first PPL students was a maths teacher. Thank you god! Anyroadup, one Friday after school I was teaching him diversions and he was really struggling with the mental arithmetic. The wheel had come full circle and I was able to tell him that never in my darkest hours with Mrs Williams did I ever dream I’d get to give a maths teacher such a hard time….

PF

PS If any body comes across any of so those called educationalists who are speaking of re introducing the 11+ then please start polishing the Kalashnikov….