PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pulling a Stop to Runway Overruns
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 09:13
UNCTUOUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MFS - I'll Try and Simplify it for you

MFS said (unQUOTEd) <<Far too much in his confusing post above to bear repeating so...>>(/UNderQUOTEd)
Imagine you are at the speedway. Note the racing cars with the huge slanting spoilers on top. They weigh 1300kgs each. The secret of their success is that, courtesy of the spoilers, their effective weight (nil weight transference) is increased by their air-speed (i.e. the square of their IAS). That gives them more traction for cornering, braking and holding onto the racetrack. If you were to mount them on a weigh-trolley at speed you would note that their weight effectively increases by 100's of kgs as their airspeed increases. Their mass and its distribution remains essentially the same.
As they now go around a 180 degree turn and enjoy a 15kt tailwind (instead of a 15kt headwind) but remain at the same groundspeed, their effective weight will be changed (i.e. significantly reduced) by the difference in the squares of the two airspeeds and the coefficient of negative lift that comes courtesy of the spoilers.
Backstick braking works on the same principle. There is no weight-shift between the nose-gear and main-gear. The benefit comes from the up-elevator (the equivalent of the racing car's spoiler). It is what pushes the maingear into the ground, increasing traction and enhancing braking at speed.
I hope that you will be able to see that to be a fact......
But I have absolutely nil faith that you will......