PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair
Thread: Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 08:27
pax britanica

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Ryanair Smart or Not so smart

This is not a FR bashing thread just seeking some views
Undoubtedly Ryanair have made money and brought a new dimension to Euro airtravel
unquestionably their product -punctuality aside compares badly with most carriers but it can be incredibly cheap
My question however is that why do they offer money losing fares on routes with no competition and where they would have essentially the same pax load if their lowest fare was say £15 or €20. Most of their UK to France routes are where virtually all their pax would choose them anyway as no other carrier operates routes like EGSS-Carcasonne, Poitiers or Bergerac and much of their clientelle on those routes are perhaps not so price sensitive as on Gatwick-Dublin or EGSS -Prestwick
So to summarise have FR made a mistake in underpricing dozens of city pairs where they have no competition and have actually generated lots of new traffic. They only need the super cheap stuff on routes like EGSS-Stockholm ( not that any Swedish person would class their 'Stockholm' destinations as anywhere near the capital city ) where they have to drastically undercut BA SAS because of the disparity in service and convenience.
I confess I have never flown them -partly because I live 90 miles from EGSS on the other side of London and that coupled with their strange 'Am I bovvered' attitude to customers doesnt encourage me to fight the m3/m25/m11 or the difficulty amd hopeless unreliability of cross London rail
PB