PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Interview (threads merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 00:54
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure, GoldenFalcon, appreciate that not everyone shares my point of view and there is plenty of evidence of that on this Forum that anybody considering a job can quickly find using the "Search" function. After I proof-read my last comments I thought to myself . In fact, I would sleep better knowing they will do that-- hate to have someone solely base their career plans on my thoughts.

I guess I should qualify my answers. Gulf Air is my eighth employer. I have worked for companies in 7 different countries (baseings)-- including one other major pilot-employer in the Middle East, and although I have never been a bush pilot, none of the employers have been legacy carriers (the Air Frances', the American Airlines') either.

I appreciate that a pilot who perhaps was at a now-defunct airline like Sabena finds himself unhappy at GF or any of the other GCC airlines. At my previous airline, which would have been rated a major airline, I watched things go from a happy place, into a rapidly descending spiral into bankruptcy protection, then recovery, while management/labor relationships had turned into one of mistrust and kept getting worse. I enjoyed my time there, what I miss most is the people I worked with who were top-notch, but I am happy to be out of there.

In a conversation with a colleague from Lufthansa a few years ago, we both agreed that the whole industry "isn't what it used to be." So when I listen to a Gulf Air long-termer reminisce about multi-day night stops in places like Athens or other exotic destinations, I am also saddened that it isn't that way anymore-- but it isn't that way anymore at most airlines!

So my happiness with GF comes from assessing my personal situation. I feel I work overall in the best airline environment in the Middle East, and compare it to my personal options worldwide. What I hear from people who know guys who have left GF to go to other GCC carriers is that things are not any better there than here. My options do not include going to British Airways (and I cannot fault the guy for going there) and quite frankly, I am not looking anywhere else.

A few years ago, before I came to Gulf Air, I seriously considered getting out of aviation, going back to university, and dedicating myself to a different career field that would be more stable (and less bitter). I wasn't able to then, and while I still think of doing continuing education based on the benefits of self-improvement, I am glad I stuck with it.

As far as me doing my part to improve things at GF-- be nice to my crew members, have some fun downroute, and enjoy to the fullest my days off.

Rgds,
PJ