PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - El Al passenger flies with gun to New York
Old 1st Feb 2002, 21:02
LevelFive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m not aware of any intelligence on Timothy McVeigh before the Oklahoma City bombing that showed him to be a security risk.

There is no evidence that McVeigh ever belonged to any extremist groups. His only known affiliations were as a registered Republican and as a member of the National Rifle Association.

The facts show that before entering the Army he worked as security guard. While in the Army he was promoted to corporal, sergeant, then platoon leader. After leaving the Army he returned to working as security guard. Don’t take my word for it. Look it up yourself. Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber, was a security guard. . . . .If you believe profiling is the way to go, maybe we should be profiling security guards. . . . .Security guards like McVeigh don’t have to be willing to die for a cause to be a risk. All they need do is open the door for those who are.

El Al uses a system much like the proposed “Trusted Passenger” ID card to speed up the security screening process. These “Trusted Passengers” are given just a cursory check. Some of them may accidentally bring a firearm onboard like this man did. Do you think terrorists see a weakness here? It looks to me like their best chance of getting a weapon onboard would be with one of those trusted passenger ID cards.

I know profiling very well. I’m singled out from other “Trusted” employees every time I come to work. I’m searched for weapons, toenail clippers, tweezers, ect, because I’m a pilot. Your assumption that profiling would be effective assumes a level of logic that’s just not present here. When a disgruntled airport worker brought a gun onboard a flight in California and shot the pilots to death the government’s response was to make pilots go through security screening. Airport workers were still allowed to come in the backdoor with lord knows what. This is life Through the Looking Glass.