PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Navy's swimming spy plane
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 16:11
Conan the Librarian
TheVillagePhotographer.co.uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Japanese had a few subs with hangars on the upper deck, with the idea of being able to strike US targets, but although the Continental defences would have been light, the overall value of a light floatplane attack would have been of little more than propaganda value.

The Germans were playing with an idea to piggy back V-2 rockets to New York as well. The idea that I heard about was to build a seperate "Hangar" for the firework, which detached from the sub and then filled its base with water to get the assy to float upright. Then, it was a case of Light blue touchpaper and retire. The later German research fed back into navies Worldwide, but the Soviets used many further developed versions to provide their first missile subs, in which the missile was housed from keel to the top of a lengthened conning tower, I believe.

I suppose the CNN report is only a logical progression, but I wonder what range it would have? The idea of an Ohio operating in anything other than deep water seems a bit unlikely to me, as a layperson.

Conan