PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE
Thread: NEWCASTLE
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 15:36
transwede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Eurofly operating NAP in addition to the regular Thomsonfly charter, who is using the flight and when/times etc?

It is more than likely true that NCL will not see such a huge growth in the route network that we have done in the previous 18-24 months but I do think there will be more to come. Probably our hope is indeed from the loco carriers, such as Jet2 and from the traditional charter flights. Full service scheduled traffic has never been that strong at NCL and the real growth here began with EZY opening their loco base. With smaller regional airports like NCL, I think loco carriers are realising the potential of offering flights only 3/4 times per week. That way they can offer a greater number of destinations, whilst still potentially making a profit. The next big loco or new route, my bet will come from Jet2. 6 routes in roughly a year is good expansion.

There must be a reason why charter routes to SKG, PVK etc have been dropped, even though they proved popular. The same with PUY etc. It was operated just a few years back, by if I recall Leisure International, but it obviously was not feasible or surely the charter company would have carried it on.

An area where charters could expand and make a shed load is in the winter. A long haul, more hot sun destinations in Eygpt, North Africa, Florida etc are needed, aswell as a greater choice in ski destinations (these flights are highly utilised).

Maybe with FJE operating all year round and not having a full programme, they could be chartered to operate a few new routes.

The airport does, however need to be cautious when new flights operate, as the terminal checkin/departure gate useage is reaching full at the busier points in the day. This summer saturday, thursday am are going to be a tight squeeze for space.