PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE
Thread: NEWCASTLE
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 13:03
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamesair
CENTREFIX 25
I think maybe you are being a bit negative here......
I don't think Jamesair is being negative at all, it's the hot air of many others that is the real issue. I just seem to read all about these thin desinations that you all throw up and discuss pointlessly as being a good idea. Demographic issues & some political, limit the growth at NCL. Most of the destinations that are now being discussed are simply those that are to cause a substitution effect, ie the - let's go somewhere different this year luv- situation.
As for business travel, the average business person who needs to fly to the continent or wherever will use NCL in any event, though may need to go via an undesirable hub, hence no significant growth here other than few UK regional destinations not currently (fully) serviced.
You will get real growth in pax no.'s only when the regional ecconomy puts more tourist cash into punters pockets & also promotes business activity, or possibly and more speculatively that a significant investment in a route such as NCL - NYC will draw on punters from outside the normal catchment area as such a route to them then becomes more attractive than their current available options.
Lets face it is one trying to say that if say at NCL, an operator were to now in the current Loco situation, offer MAD as a new destination then most / all of the punters needed to make such a service viable simply would not have originally have travelled elsewhere from NCL or travelled by other means to alternative departure point to get to MAD, I don't think so !