PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BHX ATC - Slightly weird
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 12:08
ukatco_535

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mentaleena

Welcome back. Not defensive, certainly not angry just telling it as it is - you are the one who sounds like they are on a tirade.

Stick to your atco facts
At least you acknowledge that what I and the other ATCOs are saying is fact.

As I said in a previous post, if you had come onto the forum asking in a civil manner instead of straight away saying the controller was wrong, you will have got a more reasoned response, although the facts regarding flying procedures would still be the same.

It may well have been the case that the ATCO was wrong, but there are ways of going about things.

From your first post

That was well out of order.
She was out of order, but I didn't take up the challenge at the time
And from your second post

The rest of you don't be so "pouncy" and so overcorrect.
So please revise your procedures
Not exactly the best way of endearing yourself to anyone.

The controller concerned may have (rightly or wrongly) taken the manner you said

"Should we just fly towards base leg for 33???"
as condescending - along the lines of "do we have to do everything ourselves?".

If she did find it condescending she may have replied as she did as a quick retort to 'put you back in your place' (unprofessional, but we are all human)

We as ATCOs are here to help you, the pilots, conduct a safe, efficient and orderly flight. You have to do that for one aircraft, we have to do it for many. I think the majority here were trying to let you know that if you hear nothing else, you follow standard procedures.

No statement of intentions such as

Good afternoon XXX, vectors for 33 number 2
overrides that fact.

As a little bit of people management, why did you not say something along the lines of "XYZ approaching the CHASE hold".

This would serve as a gentle reminder (we do sometimes momentarily forget A/C are doing particular things though in this instance it does not seem to have been the case) and the controller would then have either issued a heading or told you to standby or even enter the hold.

If you had been told to enter the hold so that the controller could sort out the wandering aircraft problem it would not have been ideal for either you nor the controller especially as there would have been no traffic reason. However it would have been safe - the first aim in both your and an ATCOs profession.

Last edited by ukatco_535; 22nd Mar 2006 at 12:20.