PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS Singapore Basing
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 10:34
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
touchncloth

And that is why I said the calculator isn’t complete under law. I return to Australia all the time because of my work and I am still classed by the ATO as a non resident for tax purposes. In regards to returning to Australia four times, (I don’t know where you got this figure from?), it really depends on your reason for returning to Australia.

Freddy Fudpucker

No where in the Australian Tax Act or on the ATO’s web sight does it say you will be deemed a resident of Australia for tax purposes if you are paid by an Australian company while your permanent abode is overseas. Deriving your income from Australia, i.e. rent or shares isn’t the same as being paid by an Australian company while based overseas. Obviously the person you spoke to in the ATO doesn’t know this but a good account does and so do the courts. If you want to get an idea if under your circumstances you will be classed as an Australian resident for tax purposes I suggest you have a read of TAXATION RULING NO. IT 2650 at:http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.ht.../NAT/ATO/00001

Finally I have never said that everyone will be classed as non residents. Before accepting a position in Singapore I suggest everyone should get an individual assessment from a tax accountant, not the ATO. Most individuals though I would imagine will be classed as non residents if they follow the simple rules that can be found in the ATO’s web sight. I would has it a guess that Qantas is wanting a blanket ruling for all SO’s based in Singapore which quite rightly the ATO won’t do because every individuals situation will be different and it could open a Pandora’s box in the future for the ATO.

Just for the record I think the forced basing of new SO’s in Singapore stinks on the conditions being offered and I think your APIA and its members who voted for it have a lot to answer for in letting this get through. On the other hand most of the arguments regarding taxation I have heard on here are hear say and half truths which are obviously industrially motivated and lack any real substance. I suggest you fight this based on the cost of living in Singapore which most certainly has credit based on the package being offered and leave the taxation question to individual assessments that I would suggest all prospective candidates get before accepting the post.