PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I-pod. Help!
Thread: I-pod. Help!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 09:48
daedalus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I-pod. Help!

At Christmas I bought a 20GI-pod. I have only just got around to using it, because my own computer is a Mac with OS9.1 and, of course, I-tunes will only run on OSX. My oldish Mac will not work with OSX, so I have to get a new Mac, but I want to wait a bit.
So, I use my son's second computer - laptop, Windows XP.
I want to transfer all my classical CDs onto the I-pod for long airplane flights, so that I don't have to put up with crappy headphones and music selections and, even worse when flying over US territory, paying $3 for a pair of crappy headphones!
So, I log onto I-tunes, play the CD and transfer the music to I-tunes. When I attach the I-pod, it automatically updates and adds the new music to its memory. So far, so good.
After a while, I-tunes gets pretty full so I thinks since these tunes have already been transferred to the I-pod, I don't need to keep them on I-tunes any more (after all, if I want to fill the I-Pod, that's 20G of tunes on my laptop, whose hard disk isn't all that much bigger.)
So, I get rid of the stock of tunes from I-tunes to "clear the decks".
I insert another CD and transfer the music to I-tunes, then plug in my I-Pod. What happens? The I-Pod takes the new music, but at the same time gets rid of all the rest (i.e. everything that is no longer in I-tunes!)
Aaaaaaaah!
That also means that if I go to a friend's place with my I-Pod and see a good CD of his which I would like to have on my I-Pod, I use his computer and log onto I-tunes, insert the CD and transfer to I-tunes on his computer. Then, when I attach my I-Pod, it takes the new CD, but only at the price of erasing everything else on it.
Surely it can't have been designed like that? Can it?
Help!