PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots and Malaria
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 09:31
Airforce1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have lived on and off in West/Central Africa on contract for over 5 years. And surprisingly have not got malaria yet, touch wood.

You can use Prophylactics, such as Daramal/Paludrine or Doxycyline (just an antibiotic). Larium is one of the ones that is illegal for pilots. So many people say it masks the symptoms-rubbish and they say the long term (more than a month) effects of the medicine on your body is worse than malaria-rubbish, what’s worse than Cerebral Malaria. If you gonna take medicine for more than a year or two than it’s not worth taking them, just ridiculous. If less than a year I would recommend 2 months, Daramal/Paludrine and the 2 months Doxycycline and then keep rotating between the two medicines so the body does not get used to the medicine. Often though these do have side effects of skin being sensitive to sun-so take them at night before sleeping for them to get through your system.I stopped using the stuff though about 3 years ago, and rather cover up.

In medical tests Tabard has proven good, while Peaceful Sleep failed the tests despite having the same ingredient, Diethyltoluamide (look for this if you buying a local anti mossie spray).

Malaria test kits are good but be aware that it can only pick up the parasite in your blood once you have a fever, so if you feeling funny-it wont pick it up if you test.

If you do get malaria, try use a local medicine only found in West/Africa called Arinate (in a yellow box). It is a four day pill programme, that is better they say than checking into a hospital, can get Arinate for about 5 dollars. Even if you think you might be getting malaria, or any sort of flu symptoms (weak joints/sore neck/dark urine/drowsiness)-take the stuff at the first opportunity. It could save you. I have had a few occasions where I thought I was getting malaria and started the four day course, only to find out it was not malaria. For 5 dollars, worth the cash, prevent rather than cure.Have had a few friends who used it and it worked. Obviously if you have Cerebral than the hospital is calling....and the grim reaper at times.

Other than that like said above by everyone else, cover up, they do eat through socks so still put Tabard on under. The female mossie (malaria carrying one) feeds at dusk and dawn, and be aware of the mossie with striped legs, often is a carrier. As for the statement that they are attracted to the CO2 of your breath....haha don't think so,but the fan does help them not to hover over you. Crank that aircon and immobilize the mossie squadron.

Hope this is help, Why did Noah let that mossie on the ark?....or did the little basterd smuggle himself and his bloodsucking wife on board...?