PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS Singapore Basing
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 07:07
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freddy Fudpucker

Yep know that calculator and went through it to see how accurate it was. I answered it accurately and honestly and came up as a non resident for tax purposes. I can not for the life of me see how any QF SO who also met this test wouldn’t come up with the same result. As I said in my earlier post if you can’t comply with the ATO requirements for non residency then you are in a grey area. By the way this calculator isn’t fully complete under Australian Tax Law and if you are in a grey area you need to speak with a good taxation accountant and Lawyer, not the ATO. Generally you aren’t dealing with an accountant or lawyer in the ATO, just a clerk who wouldn’t know if their a**e was pointing at the Earth if they were sitting on it.
If your paid direct by an australian company then you pay australian tax.
What the……? Rubbish. I’m sorry but if someone in the ATO has told you this they don’t know what they're talking about. It just goes to prove what I said above, you need to get professional advice. There are hundreds of Australians working in Singapore and elsewhere in the world, being paid directly by an Australian company into their foreign bank accounts that “AREN’T” Australian residents for tax purposes. There isn’t any difference here with a QF SO. Even if it was a problem, which it isn’t, QF could just set up a company in Singapore to pay the SO’s through.