PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The best CVs or Resumes (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 01:25
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Here is a template for pilots. Some may criticise it, but at least it is tidy - some of the resumes that come across my desk would disgrace a fish and chip shop.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CT010317021033

It's a bit fiddly to download and comes down as a cab file. I think the layout could be improved (needs a bit more white space), but it's a start.

With reference to other comments - each company is unfortunately different (ring them up and ask what they like to see). The company I currently work for likes photos - the one I previously worked for didn't - and that was a major UK public company, which also appreciated my 5-page cv so much that it got me through to the interview (I was told afterwards). But then, that was a management position - for a pilot position it would have been suitably edited, although it still wouldn't have been on one page. As I said previously - try to get it on one, but don't get stressed out if you can't - just make sure the important stuff, like hours, typeratings, availability, contact details is on the front page. And anyway, as a professional, your cv will be short, competent and to the point, won't it? And as Scroggs says, too much individualism should be avoided, certainly in the larger companies.

I guess photos are OK if they are going to be seen directly by the recruiter, but if they are going to be filtered through a human remains department, who will not only be dealing with pilot cvs, I would leave them out - as one poster above states quite correctly, there may be a bias at the screening stage (and remember, it's the screener's job to screen you out - they are there to whittle the pile of applications to manageable proportions).

Remember your resume is your brochure and if you don't take the trouble to get it right, how do I know you're going to pay attention to detail in the cockpit? Or take the trouble to fill in Tech Log pages correctly? And tidily? It's not just the cockpit that's important - you may be able to play with the FMS buttons OK, but when it comes to filling in the paperwork after the flight, I want to know you are going to be able to use the office computer correctly and not pass extra work on to the ops department.

Taking Fairweather's point, hobbies and stuff could be useful if you are low on hours and want to demonstrate some transferable skills. If they require a certain amount of mixing with other people, then that would be useful from a CRM point of view. If they are loner-type hobbies I would leave them out. Pilot Pete's comments are with reference against experience are dead on.

It is a modern world, and computer literacy is almost a prerequisite these days. As for aol addresses, most people in IT regard aol as being geared down to 12-year olds. 'nuff said. I know this is aviation, but read the first part of this sentence again.

And BTW - I am a helicopter and fixed Wing man - I have UK ATPLs in both subjects, and have been up to the dizzy heights of general manager of a small airline. I am also more qualified in IT than I am in aviation.

Phil

Last edited by paco; 24th Mar 2006 at 20:15.