PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Flight Training (EFT)
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2006, 08:06
TwoDeadDogs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi there
Mark,
with all due respect,EFT was a shambles. Piggybacking on Aviator is bad news, full-stop. That set-up only worked when there were few FAA students.When I was there, the maintenance people would not work nights because their pay was bad and MC wouldn't up the rates to get them to work nights nor would he buy insurance to cover night work.The hangar could only admit one aircraft at a time.The Sierra never flew because the Chief Pilot(Aviator) had crashed the other and <<XX>> had grounded him and the other Sierra, although it was kept servicable.There were never 8 BE76s as claimed,only five.There was only two PCs between both schools. The accomodation was overpriced, the briefings were inadequate, the cars were overpriced and semi-derelict (and <<XX>> continuously hassled people for money, even those who could prove they had paid up!).
The comment about <<XX>> being arrogant was true enough.He was also a shareholder in the school, so he had a different motivation than the rest of the instructors.I got on ok with him, but I know others who had a bad time with him.
the major pain was the difference in rates paid by FAA students to that being paid by JAA students.Quite why a Yank could pay $145/hr for a Beech 76 and the JAA guys paid $245/hr was never satisfactorily explained, given that Trevor hired them from <<XX>> for about $50/block hour.Also, the fact that examiners were coming all the way from Michigan, on only one weekend a month put huge time pressure on them and the students.All it took was one delayed airline flight or one bad-weather day and the schedule went to bits, at the student's expense.The school's only saving grace was the skill of the instructors.
regards
TDD

Last edited by scroggs; 21st Mar 2006 at 15:07.