PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Approach Plates
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2006, 14:47
Heliplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Approach Plates

Good afternoon all.

I am trying to put together a set of instrument approach plates to keep on board (a) for practice approaches and (b) for use in the event that I get stuck above low clouds and have to divert to a nearby field with an instrument approach.

Although I would want to be able to use these plates in a real life situation, the extent to which I plan to use them in no way justifies the high cost of subscribing for a Jeppesen or another instrument approach plate service. (I have been spoilt by the US system of paying $3 dollars for a neat book of all the current approach plates for the region).

Although people have offered to copy their Jepp/equivalent plates for me, I do not want to risk a breach of copyright etc.

I have printed plates from www.ais.org.uk on occasion but note the disclaimer stating that "This information is supplied for Pre-flight planning purposes only...". Clearly, the intention is not for these to be used in flight.

Is there a source from which one can download current IFR approach plates that can legally/safely be used whilst flying in an IFR environment?

Also, downloading plates from the ais website is somewhat onerous as each approach has to be downloaded separately. Is there somewhere that all of the information on the AIS site can be dowloaded in one shot, or purchased?

Lastly, (I think this may have been on a previous thread but I couldn't find it) is there a source for IFR approach plates for European airfields (particularly France and Belgium)?

Thanks.

HP