PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BHX ATC - Slightly weird
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2006, 12:40
ukatco_535

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mentaleena

There was no reason to take up the hold,

we knew she was a bit busy on the phone and that we will be given a heading.
Bloody hell, I know some pilots use TCAS in the wrong manner, but could you deduce the above from it, or some other piece of airborne equipment?

Go on, tell us you were actually flying an AWACs or AEW aircraft, then I will understand your reasoning (though it will still be wrong for a whole load of reasons)!

How do you know there was no reason to take up the hold. Did you consider the fact that the runway inspection vehicle had broken down on the runway? Or that a herd of wilderbeasts were rampaging across the threshold? The Controller just had a heart attack???

There are a multitude of reasons that you may have had to hold - to state the above just shows ignorance to what actually happens in and around an airfield.

As the others have stated, unless you are on a vector already, you will hold unless told otherwise.

If you have to hold because the controller concerned is on the phone to another controller, preventing a possible Airprox then that is tough. If it delays you slightly and causes all the other knock on effects that has (extra fuel etc), again tough.

Believe it or not, our aim as controllers is to get rid of you ASAP so that we can reduce our workload in anticipation of the next A/C that will call. We will not hold you for the hell of it.

But - I don't expect to hold at all!!!
What, ever?

We are in your hands as soon as you say Vectors!
Wrong you are in controlled airspace, you are in our hands even if we allow you to fly on your own navigation. The only time you are not in our hands is if in your opinion you think that your A/C is in danger. And you had better be able able to back that up with hard evidence if you try to go and do your own thing.

So please revise your procedures, as I am certain all my colleagues would think the same.
Au contraire my friend, I think you had best revise your practices. You are wrong, no ifs or buts, just plain fact.

finally:

She was out of order, but I didn't take up the challenge at the time.
Probably the most arrogant statement I have heard for a long time, if not ever. I suppose it's a damned cheek that she was not in the kitchen where women should be, eh??