PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK jobs market and where and how to find that first job?
Old 21st Mar 2006, 10:30
thebeast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down My take on the job situation! Yes I am bored

Well I am bored at work as no one will give me a decent job as it obvious I will leave them if even a sniff of a flyig job comes along (little do they know this could be years and years) so here goes a moan…..

Many people seem to say that the pilot employment market has picked up and well yes maybe it has got better, but if it has, it has gone from a total nightmare to just completely crap. It is even difficult to get yourself on a good self sponsored type rating scheme. I just enquired to GECAT and was told they are not taking any more application until late summer at the earliest due to a massive back log, now this is a back log of people willing to pay £20,000 so imagine how many are going for jobs on these rare occasions when a company pays for your type rating.

Having a good training record and good educational back ground etc I though I would have a decent chance of a job but it seems that this industry is all about contacts and cash as opposed to the person. I know I have only been looking 3 months but that is 3 months without even an interview, I mean what other sector would you not even get an interview after 3 of months!

Here are some of my thoughts /experiences with just a few of the companies I have applied to….

Not having the finances to complete an integrated curse I went modular although certainly not by the cheapest method (which I now regret as could have made a type rating at least affordable). So being modular that rules out entry to the like of BA, Thomsonfly, Excel, GB etc although obviously I have applied anyway with the response being we won’t be recruiting low hours pilots this year.... lies of course.
Flybe - no response, although heard they got over 1,000 applications in a week so odds are stacked against. Waiting for the online app to open again (if it does) although I believe they continue to take suggested people from Integrated Schools and also interviewed some recommended by AFT recently.
BA connect - missed their recruitment as wasn't finished training, although similar amount of applications to Flybe. From what I read those who were told in October they had an interview are still waiting for the interview, so I think its safe to say it'll be a while till they are recruiting again.
Logan Air – online form completed, nothing heard back. Even a rejection would be nice.
Air Southwest - no response but even if they did I'm not sure I could relocate, pay off loans and actually afford bread and water! The salary is so low. I mean £16,000 tops is taking the micky.
Easy jet, Thompson Fly Mytravel - all a good prospect if you get into CTC, unfortunately I got the chop at the final stage of selection so they are gone.
Atlantic& Highland – seem to take either their own cadets otr type rated pilots.

Irish cousins

Aer Arran - told they have 1,100 on file and I think you really have to be type rated to have any hope.
Ryan Air – infamous to say the least. When training I thought no way, but suddenly with no sign of a flying job in sight, it is suddenly a very appealing option. But even here it is very tough to get in. They may desperately need Pilots but as usual it is experienced pilots and there are no shortages of people like me, and a lot with £20,000 to burn. Both SAS and CAE have many thousands of applications on file, having chased them both on several occasions with very little success. I know several people who have been successful but this has always been through a good contact, getting their CV to the top of the pile directly at Ryan Air and not through the type rating schools.
City jet – Seems to be a decent opportunity, although I have two rejections to date now going for a third!
Air Contractors – Same as Aer Arran , no type rating no chance and even then it is tough.
India – No go unless you’re a Captain
China – Similar to India really although maybe ops for experienced FO’s, but then why would you go to China if experienced.

So the options

Stay current and hope. Hard to afford any flying that will make a difference to your CV other than just staying current.

Somehow get the money together for a type rating, big risk and certainly cannot afford to buy 100 hrs plus or even 500 I mean were will this stop!

Flight Instructor – just cannot afford the extra debt to then be paid a pittance.

Save up some cash and head to Africa, a totally desperate option, might give it a go!
Basically I’m s******d