PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK jobs market and where and how to find that first job?
Old 21st Mar 2006, 09:30
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK is not awash with jobs but its pretty healthy just now from my experence.

Certainly alot better than main land europe.

There are jobs though for people who put the work in and are willing to move the earth to get a job.

Leige is a dump but yes even from scotland I could get an address without to much hassel near by. Where there are oil companys an Aberdonian has contacts.

Its very easy to sit at a computer and moan that you can't get a job on a website. The poeple that get off their backsides and do the hard graft you never hear from and they are the ones that get a job. It might be a job that some would turn their noses up at, I can't see A320 wanting to do night mail flights in some old battered frieghter. But its better than being unemployed, the pay might be crap, and some may be a form of legal slavery (being and instructor). But its a job and every hour in your log book counts.

Experenced FO's are evaporating from the Turboprop fleets onto jets. Bonds arn't worth the paper they are written on as the increase in salary's is covered in the first 6 months. At manchester there used to be quite a few pilot qualified dispatchers working. They have all seemed to have disappeared into jobs. Including the sexy blond one who is off to drive a 757 for a first job.