PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC Radio Messages
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2006, 19:28
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chilli Monster
If you'd like to get an ATC licence with an APS rating, then try and give a RAS to everyone with the separation that you have to try and achieve under a RAS, during a typical summers weekend, I suggest that opinion would last all of a Microsecond. It's not physically possible.
Then don't give RAS if your workload is that high, particularly not to the ones who have worked out that they can be IFR below 3000 ft clear of cloud and in sight of the service and behave just like VFR.
If you are VFR then it's your responsibility to avoid other aircraft, not mine to tell you how to conduct your flight. Harsh, but true. Learn that fact and move on
If an aircraft is IFR outside controlled airspace, it's the pilot's responsibility to avoid other aircraft, not ATC's to tell him how to conduct his flight. Only in limited circumstances in controlled airspace does the responsibility pass to ATC. Since neither RIS nor RAS are provided within controlled airspace, I think it's fair to say that it's the pilot's responsibility to avoid other aircraft when under a RIS or a RAS, whether VFR or IFR. So why make a play of the difference?

(Personal pronouns switched to pilot/ATC in deference to your two hats!)

If you can't work that out from the information you're being given then the service being given doesn't have enough data. I've never had a problem deciding - it's called having the mental picture.
You'll be wanting the aircraft flown for you next!
You'll be telling me next that you haven't ever wondered which way to turn someone with a tube in front of you, let alone from ATC traffic info.