PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone read any good books ?
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2006, 15:50
Alvin Steele

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with Penguina, I picked up a book about Amy Johnson by Constance Babington-Smith (great name) at Hendon a couple of years ago and was hooked, despite having no interest in Amy before that.....in fact I still don't know what made me buy the book......it was a superb page-turner.
As a result, I picked up the 'Amy Johnson-Queen of the Air' book and 'Amy Johnson-Enigma in the Sky' and was equally impressed.
As far as the others people have mentioned, 'First Light' is the Battle of Britain book.....excellent.
One (out of print) book I haven't seen mentioned so far which I picked up second-hand is by the late great Frank Tallman USN aviator and top movie pilot......his book 'Flying the Old Planes' is superb, it is a great book to dip into, if only to snigger at Frank's brilliant metaphors contained in his experiences of flying everything from a Curtiss Jenny to a B-17.
I usually avoid aviation fiction like the plague.....except V.M.Yeates superb WWI novel 'Winged Victory' and Brian Lecomber's books.
Next on the shelf to be read are Alex Henshaw's 'Flight of the Mew Gull' and 'Sigh for a Merlin'

Tim