PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Navy Shooting down an Iran Airbus
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2006, 12:10
Founder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Airclues
Posts such as the one by Agoricus bisporus make me realise why there will always be conflict in the world. However, while the 'military can do no wrong' brigade continue to vent their anger, it is important that more logical minds examine all of the facts so as to prevent this sort of thing happening again. Many lessons were learned from this incident and many have been acted upon. An example of this is the use of wx radar as an SOP, which was only introduced after this incident. However, as those of us who operate through this region know, some of the lessons have not been learned.
As with any incident, there is a combination of errors which lead to the final outcome. On this day the holes in the swiss cheese were all lined up. The resolution of any single error could have prevented the tragedy.
The ship radar had incorrectly identified the A300 as an F-14 prior to departure due to their proximity on the taxiway. The ship crew did not think that there was an airline flight due to confusion between 'Z' and local time. The airliner crew had accepted a 'direct' clearance while still in Iranian airspace. The A300 crew were monitoring 121.5, but did not recognise themselves as the target as the warning only gave the groundspeed. The ship did not recognise the A300 transponder code due to the incorrect identification of the F-14 prior to take-off (civilian airliners do not carry IFF). The ship radar operator told the captain that the target aircraft was descending whereas subsequent radar traces prove otherwise.
Put all these errors together, combined with the tense situation at the time, and one can understand why the captain of the Vincennes made the decision that he did. I honestly believe that, if I had been in his shoes, with the information that he was given, I would probably have done the same.
However, the important thing is to admit the mistakes and learn from them. Many procedures have been changed as a result of this incident, but there are still gaps. In todays world of conflict it is only a matter of time before this type of incident happens again.
If you want to know why the captain was given a medal gonso, just read Agoricus bisporus' post again.
Airclues
Do you know any more detalis regarding what was changed after the incident and what may need to be changed?

Good post btw...