PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Navy Shooting down an Iran Airbus
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2006, 11:58
Founder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Willie Everlearn
USS Vincennes (CG 49) was decomissioned during a ceremony at Naval Base San Diego June 29, 2005, after 20 years of service to the U.S. Navy.
This incident was covered on NIGHTLINE with Ted Koppel a few years back. In that television report, it was reported to the American audience that the Vincennes had entered Iranian territorial waters (either intentionally or unintentionally) as a result of several attacks against it by smaller craft. Maybe they were in a hot pursuit of one of the gun ships? I don't recall.
It also suggested the Commander and some officers on the bridge were concerned that they might come under attack if discovered by Iranian Military radar or overhead Iranian Military aircraft, if discovered within the 12 mile limit.
To say they (the USS Vincennes crew) were trigger happy, as a result, seems reasonable. In their haste to identify a 'target' off Bander Abbas (heading toward the Vincennes) must have caused heightened intest on the bridge and may have contributed to the result.
Being unable to IFF the contact rapidly approaching, left the Vincennes Captain with a very important and crucial decision.
Oddly enough, I believe the Captain's name was John Paul Jones. I also seem to recall he was admonished for his handling of the incident.
Today in the Gulf, U.S. military ships broadcast and challenge aircraft on 121.5. Through the region, have a look at your High Altitude charts and note the warnings regarding the straying into certain areas. You might get shot down. So, heads up!!!
This is what I wanted to know, how it is today... it seams nothings changed?