PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Navy Shooting down an Iran Airbus
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2006, 09:13
Founder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Agaricus bisporus
Founder, ir's good to see you watched through that documentary and came out with such a commendably balanced view of events (!); and even if you are susceptible to believing a documentary contains all the facts it is as well to actually consider them all, and not just those that suit your particular preconcieved bias.
. Oh dear, do make up your mind! Maybe they didnt have a full civ VHF set, but can you explain a situation that the USN might have anticipated prior to this when one would have been necessary? Talking to airliners is hardly within the normal remit of the USN.
Calling on a mil freq is dumb, eh? Has it occurred to you why they shot at that threat? Do you suppose it was because they thought it was an airbus? They'd have let an F15 come right over them, I suppose...Now thats dumb!
Why do you suppose they thought a civ a/c would use a mil freq? That didn't appear in the film, you've just imagined it. Rather why would they not think that all civ a/c monitor guard? All mil a/c do, and I bet the USN are taught that all civvies do to. Well, they do, don't they??? Why did the airbus not have his wx radar on, that would undoubtably have saved his life. Now thats dumb!
How could they tell the a/c who they were talkiing to, do you suppose they had his callsign? Wouldn't the USN, even in its dumbness, have guessed that an Iran Air c/s might not be military, or conversely that a civvy squawk might be?
No mate, your US bashing is way out of line. Those guys are highly trained Professionals doing a dangerous job utimately intended to save YOUR ass, so have as bit of compassion, and maybe a bit of gratitude too, (your airforce would probably be flying Dorniers and MiGs now not Saabs, if it wasn't for the likes of the "incompetent" people you're so confidently slagging off.
it seems utterly unnecessary to repeat it, but they had limited seconds to make a decision, the capt wasn't stooging around a hold in a Seneca, remember, as a decision not to endanger his ship was the correct one.
I hate to think what you'd be smugly calling the dead Skipper and his crew with your awesome powers of hindsight if it had been an F15 with a civvy squawk and had sunk the ship...
First of all it was an F14, the iranian airforce doesn't have F-15's... Seccondly the Iran F-14A doesn't carry any Air-Surface weapons. It is a strict A-A combat aircraft... it's weaponery is limited to sparrows, sidewinders... And anyone who's ever had to deal with US military equipment knows that they are always checking that the weapons which they've sold are not used in any way so that it might hurt US interests.

The warship did have a capability to transmit on the civilian emergency frequency, but that's it...

What my country would be flying? I'm not even going to comment that...

And when it comes to identification, just saying the squak code which they had would have identified the aircraft and the aircraft would have known that they were talking to them..., all civilian ATC's knows this...

What does the wx radar have to do with this?

- "Why do you suppose they thought a civ a/c would use a mil freq? That didn't appear in the film, you've just imagined it. " it did appear in the doc...

Last edited by Founder; 20th Mar 2006 at 09:29.