PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Navy Shooting down an Iran Airbus
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2006, 08:46
Founder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point...

But still it amases me that they don't have the equipment onboard to communicate with civilian aircraft. There has been several incidents where civilian aircraft have wandered into different types of airspace and were shoot down. JAL over russia is a good example...

I did read the official report, the short one, and one thing that the tv cameras catched but not the captain was the navigations officer saying out loud that they were entering iranian waters... they were'nt even in international waters when the shoot down took place...

Sure there might be a lot of things happening at the same time with a lot of confusion, I've been such as well but when you start to loose a grip over the situtation like that captain did he should done what every IFR student knows, relax, think it over, take a step backwards and get a grip on the situation... and most important, double check your information...

The Swedish airforce has a saying, trust is good, controll is better... no one doublechecked the information that the captain recieved. This is called negligence...

I've worked in the Swedish airforce and it's interesting that we've got better communications equipment than the US Navy...