PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NYT article on pilot pay
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2006, 15:29
MercenaryAli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our own worst enemies

I have been flying for 36 years, man and boy, military, civil and police aviation. One thing I have noted over those years is that we, the pilot fraternity. are our own worst enemy. We are sometimes treated very shoddily by management (administrative) who don't know any better but more often than not we are treated very shoddily by management (pilots) who should know better and choose to forget they once were just an F/O or a line Captain. Moreover, when companies get so bad that the crews are lining up to leave by the front door there are more 'new hires' lining up to take their places via the back door. It was ever thus!
Why do we do that? you might ask. The answer is simple - we just love to fly! And moreover most of us would have done it for free had we not been paid to do it.
I have worked for some wonderful outfits, amongst them Loganair, Jersey European, (UK) TWT International (Middle East) Eurotrag Gabon, (West Africa)Trans International Express (USA) Roblex Aviation (PR) and also enjoyed my time as both a military pilot and a police department pilot. But I have also worked for some axxhxles, who should never have been in charge of either an airline or pilots, but they were and so it will always be.
But I wake up every morning and thank God that I never had to join the "Rat Race" or the daily traffic queues on my way to some dingy office building