PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 19th Mar 2006, 14:13
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, too, can confirm that in early 2002 the RAF were blatantly ignoring the SPINs requirements for DAS and other stuff in AFG. When I queried it, I was told that
a) It had been ok'd for the darkside and we were to do the same - it was being taken 'on risk' by higher authority - PJHQ and MOD
and
b) We would soon to be doing an ISAF task with 'slick' aircraft - so we were not 'officially' part of the US Op any more - so we could ignore SPINs and the ATO etc. We decided that was bollox, however, and we continued to be fragged as part of OEF ATO and complied with as many parts of SPINs as possible -this was one of very few ways to be sure that KAB/BAG and AWACS knew we were coming. And after all, we were flying to Kabul and Bagram at the same times of night as the rest of the Op and were just as easily shot at ....and often were!

Duty of care didn't come into it. We were told to do a job for the guys on the ground - and so we had to do it. The troops needed the essential water, food and ammo we brought in (not so sure about the 9mm blanks, bog-roll, chairs and beer for a regimental dinner, tho') .
While doing this was not comfortable, we could see most was necessary and I was proud to serve with such 'lions'. Nonetheless, we shouldn't have been put there by the fragmented Chain of Command and this was certainly highlighted in the Oracle 'Lessons Identified (Ignored) after the Op

- as was DAS, flt deck armour, secure comms and fire supressant foam!