PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help Me Choose An Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2006, 03:19
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Condor

Hi Stik,

I think you are wrong about the Rodnoc - it was designed from the outset as a trainer but some were produced with a more powerful 130hp donk for tugging, thus reducing the duration yet further.

From memory the standard machine has a 15 gallon tank and the 0200 burns 5 or less per hour. We are therefore looking at 3 or more hours to dry tanks @ 80kts.

Ugly? When compared with an Auster? Very much in the eye of the beholder I would say. It is a bird that can look a little ungainly from some angles on the ground but just great in the air. There was a terrific report on it in one of the mags recently. In the context of a cheap/ cheap to operate 2 seat flying machine I think it takes some beating.

Now, what would transform it is something I believe would be quite straightforward to do, not cost a busting load of money and will possibly result in them doubling in value overnight........???

Chop the top off and convert the thing into a cabrio, ie in the style of the gorgeous Tipsy Trainer; Fit some swoopy spats. Voila! One sweeeet flying machine.

I'm afraid the yellow and blue boggo scheme would have to go too.

What do you think Stik? Do-able?

I reckon my dear airline captain mate Stampe will come in on this post. He has owned Condors for 30 years.

R44 - I post quite a bit on Rotorheads. The R44 is a hoot of a thing to fly and even more exciting to have at home. Pulling a decent car out of the garage is one thing but to be able to pull a near-120kt 4 place heli out and spear off in it is a priviledge that causes me to kick myself every time I do it.

Having said that, I had neglected my fixed wing flying to the point recently where I did eventually fly the Robin and didn't fly it very well at all. However, after a right good session yesterday - including operating out of our very(!) short E/W runway into the 20kts of wind we had - wow! I liked it and felt very much at home again.

I'm very much looking forward to getting current again on my old machines at Old Warden. All 3 are now back on flight risks and will be flown regularly over the next month in order to get up to speed for my DA renewal.

I think you are about due for a go in the Magister or the PT? PM me to arrange if so.

All the best

Hairy