PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Prices
Thread: Ryanair Prices
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2006, 00:21
Irish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's the credit card charge that has me ticking

Whatever about the other charges. the one that really gets me ticking is the credit card charge, per sector per traveller, so if I happen to book for 4 people, and it's a return flight, which is my preference , that means an additional charge of about 20 Euro. I know that the credit card companies levy a charge on the "supplier", it's about 3% or there abouts, so it's nowhere near the sort of levels that FR impose, and whatever about using debit cards, their systems are not set up to use Irish Debit cards, despite their supposed HQ etc being based in Ireland.

As someone else commented, most of the pricing is smoke and mirrors, so it's very much a case of looking at what it's going to come down to on the bottom line, then adding the credit charge on to that, as it's not part of the bottom line.

Then of course, there's the new baggage charge, and the working of that is going to be interesting in the extreme, as it's full of all sorts of wrinkles.

I see in another thread that on line check is is not happening yet. As far as Dublin is concerned, I would be more than suspicious that the delay is down to the relevant procedures not being in place yet, my understanding is that to implement web checkin, the passenger will have to present a web boarding card at the security check, which will have to be validated before getting airside. Given the massive delays that already happen at DUB security check, the thought of the security check now also having to include a web boarding card, with bar code etc, and a photo ID, leave me cold, and I suspect that the Airport operators may not be best pleased with this latest "improvement" in customer service, as they will now be having to do the check that was previously done by the airline/handling agent. Then of course there is the problem of getting the information from FR to the airport, in a lot of cases, the computer systems are not linked, so there is a major logistical exercise in getting the data transfer to happen.

It's a nice theory that is full of all sorts of complicated security holes, some of which I'm not going to go into details about here, as there's enough security hassles at DUB as it is, and even more ideas about how airside security might be breached will only cause even more hassle than already happens most days.